The Snazzy Chronicles: Review + Outfit Post: The Camel Coat

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Review + Outfit Post: The Camel Coat

J.Crew petite wool melton top coat (also in black, red, and navy, use code SHOPNOW for 25% and free shipping only today), Old H&M top (similar here), Loft petite black jeans, Nine West heels (similar here), Movado bold watch, Zara scarf (a present), Vintage purse (from my mom's closet)

I was very surprised at this fall's petite camel coat selection. With selections ranging from
Asos, Topshop, Nordstrom, and even JCPenny, there were many that I had favorited, but in the end, I couldn't click the 'buy' button. Each coat had amazing qualities to them, but there was always that one thing that made me second guess myself. This ranged from length (too long), color (not caramel/camel enough), shape (too boxy), buttons, structure (double breasted, not single breasted), masculine vs. feminine, etc. I was about to just call it quits and wait for next year, until J.Crew released their newest fall arrivals. My eyes fell on the Melton Wool Topcoat in petite, and I never looked back.

Unbuttoned


Buttoned

I called J.Crew and asked for the measurements of the P0 and the P2. 

For P0: chest - 35.5in | waist - 36.5in | body length - 37in and 3 quarters | across shoulder - 14.25in | sleeve length -  29.5in    
For P2: chest - 36.5in | waist - 37.5in | body length - 37in and 3 quarters | across shoulder - 14.5in |   sleeve length -  29.88in   

Based on the measurements, and knowing my own, I purchased P0. When it came in the mail, I couldn't contain my excitement! The color was exactly what it was on the website; a warm, caramel color. The fit was boxy, but not boxy to the point that the coat overwhelmed me. The shoulders were well fitted; tight, but not uncomfortable. I know a couple reviewers said that they couldn't layer underneath, but it wasn't an issue for me. I believe it all depends on how big your shoulders/upper arms are. I have broad shoulders, but I have toned arms. I can layer a thin cardigan underneath, and even a blazer (did this for a whole day when I went on a business trip), and I was still comfortable.  However, if it's a comfy, chunky, oversized sweater, my arms cannot fit in the coat's arm hole. 

Buttoned

Unbuttoned

One issue I had was the body length. J.Crew claimed it would hit right above the knee, but for me, it hits right AT the knee. The coat makes my petite body look proportionately balanced only when I wear heels. If I wear flats or sneakers, the coat makes my body look shorter. I am considering hemming the length to above the knee. My tailor priced the hemming at $45. Not bad indeed, considering the thickness of the coat. 



Other than the issue of the body length, the coat kept the chill out during those mildly cold fall days. It fought through 40 - 50 degree weather during the day and night. I'm not too sure how it will fair on those really cold winter days, but from my test runs, I don't think the fabric will be keeping you warm in the winter. 

The outside pockets are huge. I can stuff a lot of shopping receipts in there XD. There's also a breast pocket, but I'd rather not stuff anything in there and just keep it as decoration. The lining is very silky, and the inside pocket is just lovely. The outside part of the collar is also grey in case you pop your collars up.  


Overall, I think the coat was a great buy, especially since I got it on sale. Like I said, the only thing I'd do to make it better is hem it; then it would be perfect. Until then, it will be heels with this coat (not that I mind, I'd rather be taller). 

What kind of coats have you been eyeing? 

Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment